Importing Contacts to Webmail
This knowledge base is being phased out. You can find the new one with updated articles at this link: iljmail.zendesk.com
If you are moving from another email service, you might want to find an easy way to bring all your contacts over to ILJ Mail. We can’t cover the process for every email program here but we can show you how to IMPORT your contacts if you can get them exported from the other service into a .csv format.
Importing Contacts into ILJ Mail Webmail
- Sign into your ILJ Mail webmail. Click here for the main login page.
- Choose Address Book/Contacts
- Choose Import
- Click the Browse button and choose the file you want to upload. (please note extra step to do before this for Yahoo users below)
When you choose your file, then click Import and it will import these contacts into your address book.
If you are here during February 2021 webmail upgrade and want to export contacts and calendars from the old webmail to the new, click here for an article that shows how to do that.
Exporting Contacts to use with ILJ Mail
Here are a few widely used services that you might want to export contacts from:
- Sign into your email account at https://outlook.live.com
- Click on the People icon on the left menu pane.
- Click on “Manage” in the upper right and choose “Export Contacts”
- Choose All Contacts and save the file.
- Sign into your email account at https://gmail.com
- Click on the Google Apps icon (looks like a block of dots) and choose “Contacts” from that list. It should open in a new window.
- On the left menu pane, choose “Export”
- Choose “Outlook CSV”
- Click Export and save the file to your computer.
- Sign into your email account at https://mail.yahoo.com
- Click on the little contact icon in the upper right.
- Chose the three dots to bring up the menu.
- Choose Export to CSV File.
- Save to your computer.
Important Note for Yahoo Users!
Yahoo sets their contacts up slightly different than everyone else. You must edit the downloaded spreadsheet before it will work with our webmail import. The column that lists email address MUST say “E-mail Address” at the top instead of “Email 1”. It’s very important that this column is labeled correctly or our system will not recognize the email addresses and all your contacts will import with no email addresses.
Here’s what the file looks like when opened from the download:
Here’s what it should look like before you try to import it. (I highlighted the area that needs changed)
It needs to say EXACTLY this: E-mail Address
If there is an email address in the Email 2 column, you need to change the title of that column to exactly this: E-mail 2 Address
and so on for any additional email addresses for each contact.
Save that file (don’t change the file type). Then follow the instructions at the top of this page to import into webmail.